Little Nine Conservancy, Inc.

Saving the Environment

Southern Pines, NC

Board of Directors, Little Nine Conservancy, Inc.


President: Mr. Gus Sams

Vice President: Ms. Denis McCullough

Secretary: Mr. Scott Boulton

Treasurer: Mr. Robert J. Gallagher


Board Members at large: Mr. John Buchholz, Mr. Mark Lorence

and Dr. Robert Simmonds (webmaster)

     All of the Board Members are volunteers who have come together to establish a conservation easement on the old Little Nine Golf Course and surrounding wooded area consisting of approximately 90 acres of a beautiful and natural setting.  Many of the members have grown up in this area and have cherished memories of their childhood and the experience watching their children grow up here too.  

     While we might not all have these experiences, we are awhere of the importance of the natural habitat existing in these 90 acres.  I know you will join us in wanting to prreserve this land for our children and grandchildren and their children.

A bit of "The Little Nine" history from a board member:

     In 1906, the first holes were constructed at what then was called the Southern pines Country Club.  In the years that followed, ledendary golf course architect Donal Ross revamped the original 18-hole course into the layout that exists today.  In the early 1920's, a third nine was built and before the decade was over a fourth nine had been added.  Ross is credited with the design work on all of the tracks.

     Both 18-hole courses managed to survive the Great Depression.  However, World War II and ownership changes contributed to the abandonment of the fourth nine in the late 1940's.

     In 1951, the property consisting of approximately 500 acres was purchased by Lodge 1692 of the Benevolent Oder of Elks.  "The Little Nine" is a mixture of holes from the front and back of the second 18 hole course built by Ross.  This new mixture of golfing was used for overflow play during high volume periods on the big course.  In 2004, tight finances in the wake of September 11, 2001, caused the Elks to shut down operations on the Little Nine.

     Since, the Little Nine has remained a cherished green space in the idlic town od Southern Pines, serving asIn 1906, the first holes were constructed at what then was called the Southern pines Country Club.  In the years that followed, ledendary golf course architect Donal Ross revamped the original 18-hole course into the layout that exists today.  In the early 1920's, a third nine was built and before the decade was over a fourth nine had been added.  Ross is credited with the design work on all of the tracks.

     Both 18-hole courses managed to survive the Great Depression.  However, World War II and ownership changes contributed to the abandonment of the fourth nine in the late 1940's.

     In 1951, the property consisting of approximately 500 acres was purchased by Lodge 1692 of the Benevolent Oder of Elks.  "The Little Nine" is a mixture of holes from the front and back of the second 18 hole course built by Ross.  This new mixture of golfing was used for overflow play during high volume periods on the big course.  In 2004, tight finances in the wake of September 11, 2001, caused the Elks to shut down operations on the Little Nine.

     Since, the Little Nine has remained a cherished green space in the idlic town od Southhool cross county meets, Healthy Kids Running events and after a long-awaited snowfall, a thrilling sled ride down "Suicide Hill."